Saturday, March 17, 2012

Australia's Leisel Jones off to fourth Olympics

Former breaststroke queen Leisel Jones will compete at her fourth Olympics in London this year after finishing second in the 100-metres event at Australia's selection trials on Saturday.

Jones, 26, a triple Olympic gold medallist and former world record holder, had to settle for second to emerging star Leiston Pickett in the final in Adelaide, with both clinching spots on the Australian team to London.

'Lethal' Leisel becomes the first Australian swimmer to compete at four Olympic Games.

Pickett claimed the gold medal in one minute 06.88 seconds with Jones second in 1:07.64.

Jones, who was Australia's youngest-ever Olympics swimming medallist at 15 at the 2000 Sydney Games, is her country's greatest breaststroker with eight Olympic medals, 14 at the world championships and a 10-time Commonwealth Games champion.

"Mission accomplished. Leiston is champion, well done. I'm so excited to bring you along," Jones said.

"I didn't think I would ever make it to four Olympics... that's just an absolute dream. I'm so excited. I did a lot of media saying that I was going to my fourth Olympics, so I'm glad I did it."

Pickett, 20, qualified for her first Olympics with her winning time equalling American champion Rebecca Soni's year's best time.

"I like to think so (changing of the guard)," Pickett said. "I've always looked up to Leisel as I was growing up and swimming against her and to finally beat her in the 100m, hopefully I can stay number one.

"There is so much competition throughout the world in the breaststroke, Rebecca Soni is currently the number one, and being up with Australia puts us up there in the world. It's going to be good to get over to London and get some good racing."

Thomas Fraser-Holmes won his second title of the Australian championships with the 200-metres freestyle in 1:46.88 from Kenrick Monk (1:47.16) in the absence of Olympic great Ian Thorpe who failed to make the final.

Fraser-Holmes will be swimming in two events at the London Games after winning the 400m medley on Thursday's opening night.

Emily Seebohm will be competing at her second Olympics after winning the 100m backstroke in 59.28secs from Belinda Hocking (59.41), while Hayden Stoeckel (53.98) and Daniel Arnamnart (54.05) will be Australia's representatives in the men's 100m backstroke in London.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | fantastic sams coupons